The Department of Social Services (department), in conjunction with the Office for Women is leading the development of the next National Plan to Reduce Violence Against Women and Children (National Plan) on behalf of the Australian Government. In some aspects of the National Plan project, the department is assisted by Services Australia, an executive agency in the Social Services portfolio.
In the course of our work we collect, use and disclose personal information, including sensitive information, that is directly related to, or reasonably necessary for, one or more of our functions or activities in relation to the development of the next National Plan.
We will collect, or have collected, your personal information for one or more of these purposes. This notice is designed to ensure you are aware of certain matters in relation to that collection, as required by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
What we collect
Through your participation on the DSS Engage survey, we will collect a range of your personal information including your personal views about family, domestic and sexual violence, including:
- your gender, age, state or territory, disability status, cultural background and sexual identity
- details about your experience of family, domestic and sexual violence
- details about others’ reported experience of family, domestic and sexual violence
- details about your or others’ experience of family, domestic and sexual violence prevention, improvement and support methods available
- details about your political views, employment type
We do not ask for you to provide your name, phone number or address.
Why we collect your personal information
We collect your information to provide recommendations to the Government to inform the principles and priorities of the next National Plan.
Aggregated data may also be reflected in the consultation report being developed by Monash University on behalf of the department. The consultation report, once finalised, will be made publically available.
If we are unable to collect your personal information, we may not be able to consider your views about family, domestic and sexual abuse in providing recommendations to the Government to inform the principles and priorities of the next National Plan.
We are authorised to collect, use and disclose your personal information by:
Who we disclose your personal information to
We may disclose your personal information to the following people, organisations or third parties:
- Our consultation partner, Monash University, for the purposes of including in the consultation report.
- Services Australia, for the purposes of assisting us to administer the website
- other parties where the disclosure of your information is authorised by law.