National Centre for the Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse – National Online Survey
The Department of Social Services is seeking your feedback on the design of the National Centre for the Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse (National Centre).
Anyone is welcome to complete the survey.
Survey Opening and Closing Dates
You can read an information paper for background to the survey questions. The information paper includes definitions that will help you work through this survey.
The survey opened on Monday 17 February 2020 at 5:00pm, and will close on Sunday 12 April 2020 at 11:59pm.
About the National Centre
The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse (Royal Commission) asked the Commonwealth and state and territory governments to establish and fund:
“a national centre to raise awareness and understanding of the impacts of child sexual abuse, support help-seeking and guide best practice advocacy and support and therapeutic treatment.”
In 2019, the Australian Government announced $22.5 million in funding over five years to establish the National Centre. The Government is working in partnership with state and territory governments to establish the National Centre.
Why a Survey?
To continue the planning for the National Centre, we conducted workshops for service providers and government across Australia in late 2019. In these workshops, we talked about the role of the National Centre in supporting victims and survivors and preventing child sexual abuse.
This online survey will help us gather further contributions from the broader community. We will use both the workshop and survey data to help plan the next steps for the National Centre.
What is in the Survey?
- This survey has been designed so that you can choose what to answer – please feel free to answer one or all questions, or somewhere in between.
- Some questions are open-ended questions, where you can type in your response. Others ask you to choose between options, or type in your own.
- The questions cover:
- Part A: Your interest in the National Centre
- Part B: Your ideas about what a National Centre could do
- Part C: Your overall hopes for the National Centre
- Part D: Demographic information
- We expect the survey will take up to 40 minutes to complete.
- You can also read an information paper for background to the survey questions.
We have tried our best to create a survey that allows people with different viewpoints to share their thoughts with us. If you have any concerns or feedback, we would encourage you to include this in the survey. The last question may be a good place to do this.
If you prefer, you can print and complete the survey in a hard copy form. If you choose this option, you can return your printed survey to:
National Centre Team
GPO Box 9820
Canberra ACT 2601
Taking care of yourself
Please do what you need to when completing the survey to feel safe and well. This could include:
- pausing the survey and choosing if you want to submit the information you have already given
- taking a break, saving your responses and returning to the survey at another time
- contacting someone you trust to help you before, during or after the survey
- using professional 24/7 support services such as:
- The survey is anonymous. We will not ask for your name or the name of any organisations you work for or with as you complete the survey.
- We ask questions such as age and location to help understand what’s important to different groups of people.