Review of the NDIS Act and the new NDIS Participant Service Guarantee
A new NDIS Participant Service Guarantee
During the 2019 Federal Election, the Australian Government promised to develop and legislate an NDIS Participant Service Guarantee to improve participant experiences with the NDIS.
The Guarantee will set new standards for the time it takes for key steps in the NDIS process. This means there will be shorter, agreed timeframes for people to get their access decision, to have their NDIS plan approved and to have their plan reviewed.
A particular focus will be on improving processes for children and participants needing specialist disability accommodation, assistive technology, or other services requiring a quote or further approval.
The new Guarantee will be in place from 1 July 2020.
Review of the NDIS Act
To develop the Guarantee, the Government has commissioned a review of the NDIS Act. The review will focus on opportunities to make the NDIS process simpler and more straight forward and remove barriers to positive participant and provider experiences with the NDIS.
The review will consider what changes may need to be made to the NDIS legislation to support the Guarantee and set new standards into law. This may involve amendments to the National Disability Insurance Scheme Act 2013 (the NDIS Act) and the NDIS Rules, but will not change the design or intent of the NDIS.
The Government has appointed an independent expert, Mr David Tune AO PSM, to lead the review.
The review’s recommendations are due to be delivered to the Government by the end of 2019, to support the rollout of the Participant Service Guarantee on 1 July 2020.
Have your say
It is essential that people with disability and the important people in their lives have input into the development of the Participant Service Guarantee.
We want to know what you think could be improved in NDIS processes under the NDIS Act, and what should be included in the Guarantee. This will ensure the Guarantee captures what matters most to people with disability and their families, carers and supporters.
You can have your say by:
- Completing the online survey. The survey will ask about your experiences with the NDIS process and your thoughts on what could improve. Your answers will be anonymous. The online survey will be open from 9 September. This will include a variety of accessible formats to support people with disabilities.
- Writing in with a submission. We recommend you read the review’s discussion paper, which includes some key questions and prompts, to help with your submission. The discussion paper and submission process is open from 26 August 2019.
- Participating in a face-to-face workshop. These will be held in every state and territory around Australia between September and October 2019. Targeted workshops will also be held for the culturally and linguistically diverse community, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, and people with intellectual disability. Registration will be open from 26 August 2019, with more workshops announced as times, dates and locations are confirmed. Please check back in regularly.
Consultations will close on 31 October 2019 at 5.00 pm AEST.
Find out more
- The overview information is also available in an Easy Read version and an Auslan video.
- Read the discussion paper, which sets out the key questions and areas of interest for the review. There is also an Easy Read and Auslan version of the paper available.
Subscribe for updates
You can receive email updates on the NDIS Act Review and NDIS Participant Service Guarantee by subscribing below.