[Sub ID 4577] Job matching and mentoring support (WELA Community Centre)
Submission ID: 4577
Organisation name: WELA Community Centre
Contact name: Ms Elaine McLean
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact number: 0891611333
Which priority group of the Try, Test and Learn Fund does your idea support?
Young carers, Young parents, Young students at risk of long-term unemployment
What need or issue are you trying to address?
As a community group whole families (from utero to Nannas and Grandpa’s and everyone in-between) use our centre, this gives us relevant comprehensive understanding of the issues affecting our community particularly social, economic, educational features and employment aspects. The essentials we need to address is:
• the unemployment rates in our community are high and on the rise
• the necessity to upskill and or train participants for existing employment opportunities in our community
• individuals have limited exposure to real work experience
• generational welfare dependency – it is essential to break the cycle
• lacking confidence to carry out daily tasks required by employers
• feeling of ‘shame’ to work, enormous peer pressure standards
• Upskilling to be presentable for employment (interview ready, time management, appropriate attire, PPE etc.)
What is your idea?
Appointed staff would work one on one with participants addressing their individual needs looking at setting up achievable short and long term goals working through what experience or study needs are to be acquired to meet the outcome set out by the individual. We will work with local businesses to match locally available jobs to specific candidates which will not only upskill the individual but provide local services and business with lasting employees and assist our community to lower the unemployment statistics. Upon introduction or assessment we will identify individuals or groups who will cultivate and work towards maintaining the development of a cottage industry and/or small business which will create employment for other local job seekers as well as raise the economy within the community.