Changes to the Plan Management Rule
The 2019 review of the National Disability Insurance Scheme Act 2013 (NDIS Act) recognised that the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) needed to provide more protections from provider conflicts of interest that may limit participants’ capacity to exercise choice and control (recommendation 16b). The Government also recognised that following six years of the NDIS, they needed to provide better protections for participants who want to self-manage their funding.
What is changing?
The changes to the National Disability Insurance Scheme (Plan Management) Rules 2013 will reflect these recommendations.
The revised Rule will:
- set out matters to be considered when determining when a support should or should not be provided by a provider, or in a particular delivery model (noting the context of the 2019 review of the NDIS Act recommendations 14 and 16b regarding Supported Independent Living and support coordination)
- clarify when plan management might present an unreasonable risk to a participant, as an extension of the risk assessment provisions already provided for in these Rules
- reflect best practice legislative drafting.
The provisions in the current Plan Management Rule relating to grace periods will transfer to the new Plan Administration Rule to better align the scope and purpose of both Rules.
What you should read
You can read the following document to understand the changes to the Rule:
- Explanation of the Plan Management Rules PDF [183 kB] | DOCX [136 kB] | Listen to PDF
- The revised Plan Management Rule PDF [253 kB] | DOCX [176 kB] | Listen to PDF
If you want more information, you can also read the:
- NDIS Act review report for the full recommendations and the reasons for them
- Government’s response to the NDIS Act review report
- Easy Read summary of the report, recommendations and response
- Implementing the recommendations of the 2019 NDIS Act review
- Summary of the NDIS Bill and changes to NDIS Rules.
Have your say
You can have your say on the revised Plan Management Rule by making a submission